Saturday, April 14, 2007

Hey ... I'm LIVING in here!

Wow. That was strange.

I got up last Wednesday morning at 3am and went to that small room (you know .. the one with all the porcelain things in it) and then went to the computer room I'm in now, and went to sleep in my favorite recliner. I then got up at 6:45, put on some clothes, and went to the kitchen. After downing my morning pills, I sat down with Peg at the table and said something like "I doan fee qui rye".

I'd known something was odd at 3am, as I was a bit unsteady on my feet, but I chalked it up to age, and being wakened by Momma Nature out of a sound sleep. But when I tried to talk, I knew something was out of whack.

Our son Brian is a Paramedic with our fire department here, so Peg called him. After talking it over for a minute, he said to call 911 and let them check me right then and there, and then go to the hospital in ambulance.

That's just what I did.

As was mentioned on Wade Burleson's blog, it was a TIA. That's easier to say than Transient Ischemic Attack, which most folks refer to as a "Mini-Stroke". It's mini because there are no lasting effects, as I understand it, and there's no identifiable cause. Most strokes are caused by a burst blood vessel, or a blood clot, which causes damage to that area of the brain. I had an MRI, an MRA (MRI on the neck) and a CAT scan, and all were normal. So I guess that's what it was.

I'd always speculated about how it would be, to have this malady or that disease. What I didn't think of, was how it would be to have something run amok in the brain. I mean, that's where we LIVE, and what affects that, affects everything.

The big after-effect: I think about everything now. "Did I used to pronounce that word that way?", "Did I get hung up on THAT word before?", "Was I always this slow typing?", etc. I guess I'll just have to get used to it, but it's a little strange for today, at least.

The cognitive stuff was always OK. I always knew when, where, who was president, all that stuff. I was just a little out of touch, and the mouth didn't work just right.

Typical for TIA's, the symptoms were pretty much gone in 5 or 6 hours, and there doesn't seem to be any after-effects other than that pesky thought thing.

To all the folks who prayed: Thanks. Something's got me back to the computer, posting stuff. And had me alert enough last night to spot the picture of our church on the 20/20 bit about the SBC not having a system to detect and eject sexual predators. And, Spiritually speaking, this whole thing never was upsetting, to me. What God allows, God allows, and the thought of what it might be was never frightening at all.

Guess I'd best be counting myself ... in the immortal words of John Calvin ... lucky.

19 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, April 14, 2007, Anonymous Dorcas Hawker said...

Bob -

I've been busy getting moved into my house and only just saw the news of your medical adventure this week. I am so glad you are feeling better. Slurred speech, hmm? Maybe you have a public prayer language. ;)

Seriously, I am glad you are okay, as I read the news on Wade's blog I read it faster than most posts because as soon as I saw your name I thought, Bob's gotta be all right ... he's our pink hat guy.

Dorcas

 
At 4:31 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Tiger Lamb Girl said...

Count yourself blessed. And I'm sending more blessings your way.
God Bless;)!
I'll keep you in my prayers that the 'thought thing' dissipates and you are fully healed.
TLG

 
At 5:47 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Ladies. I really do appreciate kind words, kind thoughts, and kind prayers.

I think I'm sorta back to whatever normal was, before I became abnormal.

 
At 6:54 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Bob,

I'm sorry you've felt bad. I'm grateful you are doing better.

 
At 9:25 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Monte Erwin said...

Bob,

I'm grateful that it wasn't any more serious than it was. Glad you're home--safe and sound. I'll get by to visit with you, soon. What a world we live in! To read Wade's blog from Oklahoma only to find that my neighbor down the street in Alabama has had a mild stroke!

Blessings, friend!

Monte

 
At 10:21 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger kevin said...

Glad you are recovering. Blessings!

 
At 11:03 PM, April 14, 2007, Anonymous Cyndi said...

Bob,
Thanks, God, that you allowed Bob to keep on keepin' on! My blog comments would be boring without him! Oh yeah, and I'm sure you've got a few other important things to tend to! Peace be with you, cyber friend. Cyndi

 
At 7:35 AM, April 15, 2007, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Dear Bob,
I'm sorry to hear about your TIA.

I'm glad that you are feeling great now...and that your spirit is strong...cause our Lord is strong...

But, I will pray for you.

I appreciate your humor and your love of God.

Take care,
Miz Booshay

p.s. if you smoke...
you better stop it!

 
At 8:07 AM, April 15, 2007, Blogger Dave Samples said...

Bob,

May God place His hands of healing upon you and restore your health completely! May you rise up and fly upon wings of eagles. May you run and not grow weary!

I enjoy your many posts on the multitude of blogs that receive your thoughts. I always enjoy seeing what you have to say about any given subject. Though we have never met...you are a blessing to me!

 
At 3:28 PM, April 15, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Kevins one and all, Dave, Cyndi, Monte: Thank so much for the kind wishes and words. It was an interesting week!

Donna: I may be a genuine wackoid, but stupid I ain't. I quit smoking 47 years ago. Prob'ly before you were born.

Oh, Dave: At my age, walking and not fainting is about all I can stand.

 
At 7:56 AM, April 16, 2007, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Purty close there, Bob. I was two when you stopped smoking :o)

I know many dear loved ones who have had strokes at young ages. (50's) and they were smokers.

I didnt' mean to insult you...really :o)

 
At 10:19 PM, April 16, 2007, Blogger Karen Scott said...

Bob,

CB and I were glad to see that you are doing better. We enjoyed spending time with you and Peg last night. We hope to see you guys again soon.

Karen

 
At 8:57 AM, April 17, 2007, Blogger Alycelee said...

Bob, I thank God that you are ok. It's also very encouraging to hear in this post your unwavering faith in God.
I'm an 'oldie' and find that the longer I serve God, He plants in me a rest and deep assurance that my entire life is in His hand. See, there are some advantages to getting older! I trust God more and it sounds like you do too.
I hope to meet you and Peg some day.
Agape,
Alycelee

 
At 4:02 PM, April 17, 2007, Blogger Sarah said...

Mr. Bob, I know I'm late in commenting here but it is good to hear your gentle wit...you have such a solid faith in our Lord...Praise God. I hope you're doing okay now.

Blessings,
Sarah

 
At 4:38 PM, April 17, 2007, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Donna: At my age, my usual response to insults is "Thanks". I'm just happy whenever somebody notices something. :) But someone showing concern is never and insult anyway.

Karen: We really, really enjoyed it, too. We've done lunch and dinner but I warn you I'm not fun to be around at breakfast time.

Alyce: If you go to Arlington this month or San Antonio in June, you'll have that chance. And I hope you do.

Sarah: Thanks, ma'am. As it happens, my younger son is in Nashville, even as we speak. Meeting with banking customers.

There. Back to my nap.

 
At 6:17 PM, April 17, 2007, Blogger Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother Bob,

So glad to hear you're back in the blogging business!

Love in Christ,

Jeff

 
At 8:52 AM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Alycelee said...

I will be at both, so wear your pink hat so I can recognize you!
Alycelee

 
At 2:57 PM, April 18, 2007, Anonymous Brett said...

Sorry I haven't called/emailed sooner. My jaw dropped when I heard, but I'm very glad you're ok. I'm sure the whole class was shocked, so having you back on Sunday is a huge blessing.

 
At 11:59 PM, April 19, 2007, Anonymous Lee said...

Sounds like a pretty scary experience. Glad you're back!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home