Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> EAGLES' REST: I GOT YER "UNITY" RIGHT HERE, TOO, PAL

Thursday, December 07, 2006

I GOT YER "UNITY" RIGHT HERE, TOO, PAL


The handsome dude in the picture is none other than Mike Shaw, my pastor, of First Baptist Church in Pelham, Alabama. There's a lot to know about him ... a DMin from New Orleans Seminary ... ex-Chairman of the Alabama State Board of Missions ... former Chairman of the Board of the Alabama Baptist (the newspaper) ... currently Second VP of the State Convention (note .. isn't that the state equivalent of being Wiley Drake?). Perhaps the most startling thing: he's been pastor of FBC Pelham for twenty & plenty of years.

What connects him to the Arlington Roundtable this week is facts about two people. First, him ... he is Baptist Born (his Momma was carrying him when she was baptized), Baptist bred and when he's gone he'll be Baptist dead. He is not a Calvinist and does not have a PPL. The second people is me. I'm a Calvinist and I have a PPL. And I teach a Sunday School Class of young married couples. In our church!

Now one might think that Brother Mike might have some fears about that. I asked him why he didn't. His comment was "Because I know you believe the Bible!" He went on to state and reiterate some of our conversations, including the fact that, when the Bible teaches free will, that's what I teach. And when it teaches predestination, that's what I teach. Funny thing: replace "teach" with "preach", and that's precisely what he does.

Brother Mike and I have the kind of unity that some folks are striving for in the SBC and related entities. And that was the topic of all that went on in Arlington on Tuesday. In fact, at dinner the evening before, one of Rev. McKissic's pastor friends remarked, spontaneously, that here we were, a dozen or so in a room, discussing our desire for unity. And, he said, despite the fact that there were both black and white folks in the room, race was not even a topic of discussion!

Unity? You bet!

I commented elsewhere today, and I'll reiterate it here:

"I decide I want to be free to wear a pink hat. So I do. I also think others should decide for themselves what color they should wear.

Someone else says no, we should NOT wear pink hats. Or perhaps he says no, we should wear any color BUT pink hats.

I say ok, you're entitled to your opinion. He says we all are. He then throws me out and says I cannot be part of his group.

Who is being divisive? Me?

I think not. Yet month after month folks are saying we need unity and cooperation in diversity, and are then being accused of being divisive. How stupid is THAT"


And a further, later, thought on that ... our group has bylaws that say we're not to forbid wearing a pink hat, and that any group within our group has a right to designate their own colors as they see fit. And ... for a few hundred years, pink was ok, but now someone has decided it's not.

I love Mike Shaw like a brother. I am richer for the fact that he's not some of the things I am. When we have our occasional chats about the controversial issues, he keeps me on my toes. I hope I do the same for him. I've long felt that constant interaction with folks who think I'm swell is enough to dull a knife, and I love having to defend my beliefs. I have the feeling I'd be much the poorer were I, say, in an Assembly of God Church (which I hasten to add I dearly love to visit).

Unity. Diversity. Sadly, both may be endangered species in the SBC. But not if the group that met in Arlington bears fruit. At least that's my prayer, lest God write a word we don't want to see, over the door.

19 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, December 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a sneaky guy. You knew that you would be receiving a bunch of pink hats when you said this. If I see someone selling a bunch of pink hats on Ebay I will know what you have done with them.

 
At 9:38 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Kev. In fact, for the early bird sale, I'm giving a discount for a dozen or more.

 
At 7:32 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger CB Scott said...

Bob,

Do you actually know Kevin? Can you state that he actually exist?

cb

 
At 7:36 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Nope. Only that he (or his alter ego) has a voice as he did call me at 6:30am last Tuesday.

 
At 8:01 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger CB Scott said...

The rumor is that he is actually an alter ego of Ben Cole.

I know who started the rumor. You are eating lunch with him. Ask him about this matter if you do not mind and let me know what he says:-)

cb

 
At 8:41 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

I'll do just that. Stay tuned. Film at 6:00.

 
At 9:51 AM, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother Bob,

Love your pink hat. Will that now be the uniting color at San Anton?

Blessings,
Tim

ps Enjoy Lunch

 
At 10:02 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Tim:

One can only hope.....

Blessings (in lieu of Tomahawks) back your way, too.

 
At 3:11 PM, December 08, 2006, Anonymous Dorcas Hawker said...

Did you wear your pink hat to lunch? For real.

 
At 3:36 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

You betcha. And I wasn't the only one.

And I had my camera, but I didn't take any pictures. We're crazy but we're not STUPID.

 
At 4:22 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

I've read, laughed, and written about that ...pink hat...more than anything else the past few times on the computer.

But I've got to lay the humor aside for a moment and tell you this is one of the finest posts I've read in a long time. And your comment about being glad you and your pastor are different, even theologically, because it makes both of you better, is profoundly Kingdom/Family in nature. Thanks.

Paul B.

 
At 10:52 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Good story.

I'd like to see a crimson hat. Maybe you can coach the Tide.

 
At 3:43 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Haven't you been watching the Tide play this year? Maybe I HAVE been coaching them!

Pink hat and all.

 
At 8:37 AM, December 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother Bob,

Check out my blog.

Blessings,
Tim

 
At 8:43 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Tim:

Ahhhh ... the voice of unity ... how sweeeeet it is!

 
At 8:48 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Paul B:

Thanks for the kind words. I never know how to respond to such. (I haven't had a lot of practice...)

But I will say this: the whole deal is a lot easier than we make it, most of the time.

 
At 9:27 PM, December 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it coincidence that your pastor appears to be wearing a pink tie in that photo? Let me guess: it was the compromise reached when he refused to don the hat?

;-)

 
At 9:37 PM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

I'm not sure. I did notice what appeared to be shreds of pink cloth sticking out of his trash can this afternoon.

I'm sure it was unrelated.

 
At 11:28 AM, December 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps good humor is a basis for unity. :) You do so well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home