Wednesday, November 22, 2006

THANKSGIVING, REALLY? WHAT FOR?

If you're reading this, you already know something you can be thankful for, this thanksgiving day. Several, in fact.

You can see (I don't do braille here).
You can read.
You have computer access, maybe even your own computer.
You're reading it in English and not German, Japanese, or Russian (I don't do any of them, either).
You didn't die of starvation or dehydration yesterday.
You weren't aborted.
Your parents had you.
Chances are good you're saved, too, and have a home in Heaven. And if that's the case, you have a fullness of life that's available for you to live, here, if you choose to do so.
And you're probably thankful for the stuff God blessed you with as you labored you hope He's ordained you to (that's sort of how I've viewed my job).
You live where you do, when you do.
You have friends.

Those are all good things to be thankful for. But something else brought it into really sharp focus a few years ago, for me. It helps to understand this if you have low self-esteem, by the way. Check out this thought:

Do you know anyone who is smarter than you are, who has less than you do?
Do you know anyone who is a better person than you, who has less than you do?
Do you know anyone who works harder than you do, who has less than you do?
Do you know anyone who has had more unearned troubles than you have ... illness, etc?

Regardless of how much or little you have, how much or little you're blessed, you know you're more blessed than a lot of other folks you know. Maybe than MOST other folks you know. SURELY more than the VAST majority of the world's population.

This prompted the question in my heart: why me? Oh, we ask that question quickly enough when something bad happens to us, but seldom when something GOOD happens.

Ask yourself God why you have anything to be thankful for, this Thanksgiving. Chances are God will tell you it's because He loves you.

That's why you are blessed, and why you can even GIVE thanks.

And why you should.

Be blessed, and thanks for being here.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, November 23, 2006, Anonymous guymuse said...

Good reflection for this Thanksgiving Day. I too have often asked "why me" Lord on being so blessed when there are so many around me smarter, harder working, more committed to Christ, etc. and yet do with a whole lot less than we do.

 
At 8:37 AM, November 23, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Greetings and thanks, Guy. It's a good question to keep up there in the front of my mind, since I seem to have misplaced my phylactery.

Be blessed today.

 
At 11:49 PM, November 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific post Bob. You made me chuckle too and I am thankful for all the above mentioned things and more. I am most thankful that God brought me to Himself and caused me to desire Him and to keep that desire burning for many years.

At the risk of being prideful(which I did pat myself on the back for) I did know what the word phylactery meant. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home