Friday, October 13, 2006

HE HID IT, SO THAT I WOULD FIND IT


We went to Las Vegas to see the sights. Hotels may be pretty, and all, but Peg had never seen the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, or ridden through a real life desert. So we went.

The day before this picture, we'd driven to, and through, the Valley of Fire State Park. That's a beautiful place, and full of evidences of the power, glory, and magnificence of the God Who created it. Peg and I enjoyed it immensely.

The day of this picture, we took one of the day-trips to the Grand Canyon. We rode on one of the little 20-passenger Scenic Airlines planes, that flew us the hour or so to the Canyon.

The day before, as we toured the Valley of Fire, I kept thinking of the song "He Hideth My Soul". Everywhere I looked, there were giant rock formations, which could only have been made by The Creator. But the Grand Canyon took that thought to inexpressible heights.

As we were flying back, we flew directly over the canyon. I sat there looking at the canyon, and the words of that hymn simply echoed and echoed in my mind. In the background, the plane's intercom system was droning on about how "nature's architect" .... the Colorado River and several million years .... had formed the canyon. Which accounts for the fact that I took off the headset and just took pictures out the window. It was then that God spoke.

He said ... referring to the foolish notion that some "natural phenomenon" had created all that ...

"I made all this, and I love you".

I could not speak. I simply sat there and started to cry. For 20 minutes, I couldn't speak .... I couldn't philosophize ... I couldn't do anything but sit and be transfixed by the magnificent display before me, and the presence of the Lord within me.

Peg asked me what was wrong. All I could to was wave my hand at her, which she understood completely. I simply couldn't let the moment pass without doing something, so I grabbed a barf bag and wrote the words ....

"He hideth my soul in the cleft of the Rock

That shadows a dry, thirsty land

He hideth my life in the depths of His love

And covers me there with His hand

And covers me there with His hand."

I had church at 8,500 feet over Nevada, and nobody but Peg and me had a clue.

In a world full of fine theology and exegesis, of modern techniques and slick programs, user-friendly services, multi-million dollar buildings, meetings with thousands in attendance, I cannot help the feeling that we need more church at 8,500 feet and less of the stuff that the world can duplicate. I know I do.

I want the Rock of my Salvation to be as real and as solid ... or moreso ... than any other rock God ever created.

6 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger SBC IS BAPTIST said...

Bob,
As your's and my old saying is been that, done that. I have the same feeling about all of God's creation. We just have to take the time to look. Our God is an Awesome God. I updated with some more post on my Blog.

In His Name

Wayne Smith

 
At 6:46 PM, October 14, 2006, Blogger Mac McFatter said...

Bob,
WOW! Great sermon. I understand.
I sometimes can only wave a hand too. And my Mary understands the moment too.
Macnewespinner72

 
At 9:10 PM, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your heart, Bob. You minister to many out here in blogland. And, on days like today, and in weeks like this one, this is one young man who is trying to follow the Christ who needed ministered to. Thank you.

I've been to the Grand Canyon and I always tell people that it is the one memory I have and the one place I've been where all the prebilling didn't cause me to feel disappointment when I saw it. It exceeded every expectation and was truly grand. And, with that thought, I can only imagine how Grand all of eternity with our Father will be. We live all too often with way too small a picture of who God is.

 
At 9:33 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Bryan. And that sight of the canyon can only hint at the glory of God.

I've been privileged to see it in many places outside the USA, but the Grand Canyon is so special because it's ours.

It means a lot to me that it ministered to you. And your note, and its revealing that, ministers to me. More than you know.

God bless.

 
At 9:30 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger SelahV said...

Bob, this is the kind of writing(that I commented about on Debbie's site a few minutes ago) that is so beautiful that you do. In regards to the awesome Creator and your awe of Him. selahV

 
At 9:51 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Selah, for stopping in, and for the kind words.

I signed up for Faithwriters. Check Debbie's comments for my answer and some info.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home