Tuesday, July 11, 2006

THOUSANDS OF WORDS, INDEED


One of the more common sayings is "A picture is worth a thousand words." This one far exceeds that.

The young lady pictured here, looking out at the sea, is the 6-year old daughter of a friend, Troy Smith. What makes the picture so poignant is that her Daddy, Troy, has stage IV Cancer. He's in a real battle with the disease, which he and his family are waging in a valiant and faith-filled manner. Needless to say, though, the future is filled with uncertainty.

Troy is a High School Teacher, and one of the most admired and respected men ... by students, parents and faculty alike ... that I know. When Troy had an attack some months ago, my grandson, who happened to be in the same hospital after surgery, got out of bed and was subsequently stopped by a nurse, walking to Troy's room, IV stand and bottle in tow. He told them nothing was going to stop him from going to see Troy.

That's the way Troy, and his whole family, are.

This photo was taken some months back, while the family was on a Disney "dream" vacation, provided via the generosity of friends, and the Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. It portrays a situation, as no other photograph I've ever seen. It touched me deeply when I first saw it, and I could not stop thinking about it.

Please, dear friends, pray for Troy and Shanna Smith, and their family. They know, and believe in their souls, that they have God's attention, and that He (and He alone) is in control. But more things are wrought by prayer than this world realizes. And they have a need for some of those things to be wrought in their lives.

Count your blessings, dear friends. And, pray.

Please.

6 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Scotte Hodel said...

Thank you for writing this. I lost my mother to cancer just over 4 years ago.

I remember.

 
At 12:23 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

I lost my only sibling .. an older brother .. to cancer in 2000. I, too, remember.

My bride (of 47+ years) has had 4 episodes of breast cancer, plus one of squamous cell. She's a walking miracle, and has been clean 5 years now.

Praise God.

 
At 8:20 PM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Shanna said...

Thank you so much for your continued prayers! We know and Believe that GOD IS ABLE!!

Expecting a Miracle,
Shanna Smith (Troy's wife)

 
At 9:12 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Kevin Stilley said...

Bob, thanks for sharing their story with us. In just a few minutes I will be going to read with my children and afterwards we will all pray for/with Troy, Shanna, and family.

Blessings, and peace.

 
At 9:26 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate your prayers for my friend and his family, and I'm sure they do, too.

God bless you.

 
At 8:50 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger K Ray said...

Bob, I just came across your blog from your comments in Wade's. Scrolling down, I saw this picture and it struck a chord with me. If I didn't know better, I would say that is my oldest girl staring out that window (looks JUST like her). Combine that with what the post is about and you have a father who will go home today and appreciate and love his family even more. As for this family...I am lifting them up in prayer.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home